Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New Beginnings

Looks like 2009 is going to be just a little different than I had originally planned.

For starters, I resigned as Executive Director of the American Association of Virtual Bankruptcy Assistants effective today, February 17, 2009.

This was not something I had not envisioned for myself or the organization.

But now that it's done, I need to move forward.

I know for many people, change is difficult. This might be difficult, I don't know. Only time will tell. One thing I know for sure. I made the right decision.

The VBA industry is fast becoming a popular career considering the economic climate.

For myself, I have always believed in this business and I knew, eventually, attorneys would see the benefit of hiring an Independent Contractor to prepare petitions. I also knew, that with a little convincing, the seasoned bankruptcy attorneys would eventually come around. Why not? It is a win win for everyone.

So now what? My heart and my passion to help people attain their goals in this industry is what drives me, so I'll continue going in that direction.

The new organization is the National Society of Virtual Bankruptcy Assistants. Although, I want to drop the virtual. Why you ask? Some of us work in an attorneys office one or two days a week. That's not virtual.

Myself, I pick up Client files from my local attorneys and bring them to my home office to prepare. From there on, the attorneys and I work virtually, electronically. Meaning our communication is via email, fax, phone or text.

In the coming months, I suspect there will be more and more organizations and associations forming and why not. There is more than enough room for anyone who wants to do this.

If anything, I encourage you.

Be creative.

Form your partnerships as many of you have already done.

Just promise me you'll stay true to yourself, honest, professional and never give anyone a reason to say anything but good things about you. If you do this, I've got your back all the way.

So here's to 2009 and the many changes it is obviously going to bring. I say, bring it on.

Stay encouraged,
Vikki

2 comments:

PattyB said...

Hi Vikki, first of all, thank you for being there to get us started in the right direction of being a virtual bankruptcy assistant. I know that without your setup and guidance I would still "be thinking about it."

I hated to read about your resignation from the AAVBA but I know that each of us has to make hard decisions sometimes when we don't know how they will turn out. Usually, they turn out to be the best for us, but of course we can't see that in the beginning.

I want to wish you great success in your new venture. We will keep in touch through our other associations. Good luck to you and stay in touch!

PattyB

San Antonio Bankruptcy Attorney Alex Wathen said...

Good to see VBA's blogging.