Friday, August 29, 2008

Last weekend of the Summer

Here we are at the end of Summer. For me, I never really felt we had a Summer. The weather was all over the map. One day; hot, next day, hot and humid, then all of a sudden, rain.

Not only that, but my days seem to zoom by a lot faster than when I was younger. A true sign of getting older.

Which is fine. I don't mind age. I never have. I guess because I don't know what to expect from age. I mean, how does a 30, 40 and 50 look and act?

So the end of Summer is here. Now comes the busy time of year. For some reason, Fall has always been a busy time of year. Everyone goes back to school, plans begin to take shape for the family get togethers. For us, our Family Reunion. Then, before you know it, it's Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Break, Christmas and then the New Year...... Yeah, it happens that fast.

Even with the strange weather this Summer, and no time off, we had a good time. My husband and I weren't able to take a vacation this year. We want to take off for awhile after the Family Reunion in October.

Our son turned 25 this Summer. To celebrate his birthday, he went skydiving in San Diego, CA. He and a friend, who shares the same birthday, jumped from 15,000 feet. His original plans were to go to Santa Barbara, CA where they jump from 18,000 feet. I guess the difference makes for a more thrilling jump. I wouldn't know, I'm not that
adventurous. But, good for him. I admire my son and his generation. They take life by the horns and run with it.

Our son also joined a bicycle group this Summer. A group of 30 to 50 people meet at a public place and ride their bikes around Los Angeles. These rides takes place on a Friday or Saturday night. They start around 6:00 P.M. and ride all evening. They carry rope and potato saks. Along the way, they stop at outdoor Malls and ask the public to join them in Jump Rope or a Potato Sak race. They never had anyone say no to a good Jump Rope or Double Dutch and the Potato Sak races become quite competitive.

Our son says "old" people join in and he says it's so cool to see their faces when they Jump Rope because you can tell they're going back to a time when things were simple. By "old" he means old like his parents (52 and 53).

Then, of course, there was the birth of our Great-nephew, Kai. His daddy, Joseph, graduated from the Police Academy on August 28, 2008.

I attended several Class Reunion functions. My High School classmates are unique in that the people I graduated with I've know since 2nd grade. So, essentially, they are the only people I've known all my life, (outside of my family).

Our son became good friends with the daughter of my best friend from High School. Anthony and Sarah attended a Winter Formal one year and since then, hang out together all the time.

My other best friend turned 58 this year in June. She and I have been friends for 27 years. Every year for her birthday, we go out for Sushi, her favorite. We do this once a year, every year. It's a time we both cherish to sit and talk and eat.

So, that was my summer. Short celebrations along the way that made this Summer memorable. The weather didn't cooperate, but everthing else was sweet.

I hope you had a great Summer filled with fun and laughter. I would love to hear what made you smile and appreciate life.

Until next time,
Vikki

No comments: