Monday, October 13, 2008

Who's #1?

I'm sitting here watching the Dodger game. I am an avid Dodger fan. I am an avid Sports fan. I love football (SF 49'ers and SD Chargers), and of course, the Anaheim Angels. Yeah, yeah, I know the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Whatever...they will always be the Anaheim Angels to me.

We're in a "who's number 1?" season. Everyone wants to be #1. Take, for instance, the ball game. I knew once the Dodgers acquired Manny Ramirez, we would end up in the Championship game.

We had the Summer Olympics this summer. Everyone wanted to win Gold. They even had a tally at the end of each day to see which country had the most Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Everyone wanted to be #1.

Now, we're in the home stretch of the Presidential nomination. What a year, don't you think?

Personally, I love Presidential election years. I love the Conventions, the Debates, the commercials. I especially love election years, because the vote for women became a reality only 88 years ago this past August 20th.

Can you believe that? Only 88 years! In 2010, we celebrate 90 years of having the vote. I don't know about you, but I am going to PARTY!!

When we go to the Polling Stations on November 4th, we are completely equal. Everyone's vote carries the same weight. I could be voting and in the next booth could be Arnold Schwarzenegger; you never know, it could happen. Yet, when Arnold the Governator (as we affectionally call our Governor), votes, his vote doesn't carry any more weight than yours and mine.

I'm not concerned by how you vote, nor am I here trying to sway your vote. I am concerned that you get out there and vote.

My dad once told me, "you can't complain about how things are if you don't vote". I think we've all heard this at one time or another. I find myself telling our son Anthony, the same thing.

I made sure my family was registered to vote as soon as they turned 18. I registered everybody. And I call everybody on election day to remind them to vote. I'm a real nuisance.

My husband was not registered to vote when I met him. Oh no! No way could I be married to someone who does not exercise their right to vote! Yep, I registered him too.

If you're not registered, you still have time. October 20th is the deadline. I hope you exercise your right to vote and make it to the polls that day.

I told my husband I was going to sign up to work at the polling place on November 4th. Do you know that the only thing he was concerned about was that I didn't sign him up with me. He actually said, "only you right?". Yeah, only me. I'll get him to come with me someday.

Who's #1, I don't know. But we'll all soon find out. Will the Dodgers go all the way, I sure hope so. As for the other, well, we'll see at the end of the day on November 4th.

Vikki

No comments: