Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday, Monday

Personally, I love Mondays. Some people don't. I'm not sure why.
Is it because it's the beginning of the work week?
Or could it be we're sad the weekends go by so quickly?

I work from home. My office is a room in my house, so there isn't much distance between me and my work.

If you work from home, as many VBA's do, you know that discipline is the main factor in running your business from home. First, you need discipline to stay out of your office on weekends. Second, you need discipline to lock up your office or desk when the work day is over. Third, you need discipline to start your work day at the time you specify on your website (if you advertise a start time).

When I first started my business, I worked all the time. I was in my office at 7:00 a.m. and didn't close "shop" until 11:00 p.m. I think it's because I was just starting out and I wanted to make my mark in the Independent Contractor industry. Plus, there was so much to do. I believe it's true for all new Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) businesses.

But once I found my rhythmn and created a "work day schedule", I found more time to spend with my husband. And my dogs. Although our son still lives at home, in our back house, we never know if he is here unless we look out the window and see his car parked out in front.

So now, I start work at 7:00 a.m. and end my work day at 6:00 p.m. For a lot of people, that may seem like a long work day. The way I see it, I cut four hours from my original work day. That's a lot.

During my work day, I take an official lunch hour. I take three breaks a day. I schedule time for phone calls, answering business emails, and taking care of incoming and outgoing mail.

Aside from petition preparation, I also continue to do Notary Signing, and Field Service Inspections. For awhile, I did translations for medical appointments.

When there are two or three petitions on my desk, I spend a lot of time in my office. For various reasons. If the assignment is back east, I need to make calls to the attorney early in the day due to the time zone. If the attorney back east wants something completed by the end of the day, that means it has to be completed by 2:00 P.M. California time.

Where adjustments are required, I make them according to the client.

I have days I dedicate to marketing my business. One or two days a week, I run errands.

If there is any advice I can pass on it's this; when you're setting up your Virtual business, remember, it's a business. Schedule your time as if you were going to the office everyday.

I spent a few years as a Notary signing Agent. Back then, I would be ready to go on an assignment at a moments notice. My briefcase was stocked with my business cards, pens, journal and Notary forms and I kept it nearby, my blazer hung on the back of my office door, my printer was filled ready to print Edocs.

With petitions, I don't require as much preparation except to update my software, if required. I still prepare myself to go on a moments notice. An attorney close to my home office might call. You never know.

Mondays are good days. I like Mondays. It's the beginning of a new work week. And for me, a new work week means possibilities. Possibilities for a new client, possibilities for a new assignment. Why not open yourself to the possibilities? Who knows, you might get that one contract that will bring in assignments to keep you busy for months.

Have a great Monday and a great work week.

Vikki

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love Mondays - that's definitely a different prospective. Your view of the world can affect you in a negative way or a positive way.

I see you have chosen to be positive and good for you.