Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 30, 2008

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a New Year.

And even though I can't stand the excitement, I'm not really sure what
all the excitement's about.

I'm up to my eyeballs in work. I have so many unfinished projects. I've decided not to make myself crazy trying to complete these projects and just do what I can until my deadline which is tomorrow at 8:00 P.M. That's when I plan to call it the end of the work day for 2008.

So let's get to business. Because of the type of professional that you are, you absolutely
must make your presence known on the Internet. You are, after all, a VIRTUAL Bankruptcy
Assistant. Attorneys are not likely to find you on the corner in a strip mall or in an office
building. You are a professional small office/home office.

Attorneys are going to find you on the Internet. I honestly believe that sending letters and brochures via regular mail is a waste of your marketing budget. Unless of course, you are attending the NACBA Convention or Conference with me. Then, by all means, splurge on these marketing materials and more if you're able.

If you think because you're sending letters and brochures to attorneys in your immediate neighborhood or city, they might call you, believe me, they are not going to do the trick. We've all tried this method and it does not work.

Being on the Internet. That's what works.

If you had a bricks and mortar type of business, I would say, yes!, brochures, signs, mailings, the whole nine yards! But you don't. You run a SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) Internet business. When you think of it, that's exactly what you are. An Internet based business. As such, you must think like an Internet Entrepreneur. Oh, and by the way, this does not mean a cutesy type of website. Keep it clean, professional and modern. The attorney you are attracting is a young, tech savvy professional. He (and or she) is looking on the Internet for "Assistants". And if the Internet-based assistant can save him money as opposed to hiring a full time in-office employee, believe me, he/she will want to hear what you have to say.

There are many attorneys nationwide who are utilizing the services of a Virtual Bankruptcy Assistant. If the attorney is a NACBA member, most likely they are using a VBA who is a member of AAVBA. Why? Because we are a regular Exhibitor at all the NACBA events. They have seen us and talked to us. They know what they are getting. A fully committed, professional who runs a legitimate Internet business.

If you haven't gotten up to speed with the Social Networking sites, don't be intimidated. A few years ago, I didn't even know how to turn on the computer. I'm not an expert, far from it. But I will get in there and try whatever everybody else is doing and doing successfully! Why wouldn't you want to follow that example? The people who are successful at this business and many other businesses didn't get there by luck. They did something right. So, hey, I'm there right next to them.

I have taken advise from fellow AAVBA members. Because as I said, I don't know it all. As such, I am always open to learn a better way to do things. My fellow VBA's and AAVBA members are jewels. The only reason I can sit here and write to you and tell you to advertise on the Internet and be on all the Social Networking sites is because a fellow VBA told me about this method. And when she told me about it, she also shared how successful she was doing it. So why wouldn't I listen to her advise? I did. And guess what? the attorneys I have been working with the last year or so found me on the Internet. Her methods work. And because they work for her, they worked for me, they will work for you too. But you have to follow through and stay at it. It will happen.

For months now, I have been forwarding emails from AAVBA members who have testified that when they use our methods, they gained an attorney or two. One such VBA is on the East Coast. We also have quite a few here on the West Coast who are tearing it up. But they followed through and stayed with it.

You can't go onto the Internet, sign up and walk away. You need to make your presence known. You need to post, share ideas, share your business, share your talents.

There is one Social Networking site where we're trying to reach a certain number of "follows" by year end. Needless to say, I jumped on that boat a little too late. But there is one person who reached their goal of 3000 followers! Awesome! You see, it's that kind of stuff you know about only if you're online.

Since I've been on the Internet, most likely you'll find me anywhere there are Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. I have gained so much knowledge from reading their posts and engaging with them about the VBA industry. It's really awesome to talk to these attorneys. And you can do it too, just get on the Internet.

You know what I truly love about the Internet? It's always open. I mean, if I'm having a late night preparing petitions, or working on an AAVBA project, I can log onto the Internet and there is always someone else working late or posting or blogging.

This works out really well for my East Coast VBA's and my Hawaiian connection. I am the most time challenged person in the world. Time Zones are a mystery to me. But when I'm on the Internet, day or night, someone else from another state or time zone as it were, will be online and I can begin a conversation or share ideas. I never have to worry if I'm calling late. If they're online, and they see me online, we start a chat. Cool.

The same goes for the attorneys I work with. One attorney works late to get his petitions in before the stoke of midnight on the last day of month. That works for me. No problem. He and I set up this agreement early on. He doesn't do this every month, but he knows if his client hasn't sent him or me the information to file, we work late to get the petition filed. Especially if we're running close to month end.

Don't just use the Internet for emails. Use it creatively to market your business. Build those connections and relationships. Who knows, maybe after sharing a little about yourself and your business, an attorney will happen along and see you.

When I first heard of Social Networking, I balked. Actually, it took me awhile to come around. Now, well now, I'm a Social Networking junkie. I am especially hooked on Twitter. I love Twitter! And the best thing is that my Twitter account is linked to my Facebook and Plaxo account. Cool.

So that's my tip for December 30, 2008. Come an join me on the Internet won't you? I never guarantee anything. But hundreds, thousands, maybe even millions of successful people can't be wrong.

See you online!
Look for my final post tomorrow, December 31, 2008

Cheers!
Vikki

No comments: