Monday, December 29, 2008

Exercise the body and the mind

Well, we're almost there! The end of 2008! How exciting, don't you agree?

My Japanese in-laws celebrate the new year all day long on January 1st. They celebrate in the big way our Latino family celebrates Christmas. Right now I'm in the middle of preparing for this huge festive event. It's the only time of the year my hubby's family gathers together. Unlike my family, who gathers together for everything. ;-)

My post today is about being a Professional Home-based business and the importance of keeping the mind and body sharp.

Let's start with the body. It's really hard to stay in shape when you're working from home. Think about it. Your commute is 2 minutes, 5 at the most. You unlock the door to your office. You turn on a computer, which in turn, turns on the printer. You turn on the lights and sit down to work. More likely, return phone calls and emails first. Then, open the day's mail. After that, you work on preparing petitions. Now, if you do this day after day, and never leave the house, you're definitely not getting any exercise. It is so easy to get that "secretarial spread" as we use to call it back in the 70's.

For myself and another VBA, our time is spent pretty much like going to an actual office. The day begins with a cup or two of coffee and breakfast. Then, to the gym or to drop off the kids at school. After that, stop at the grocery market to pick up dinner or whatever is needed and back home to the "office". Once back, time to get ready for work, which means the whole nine yards. Shower, get dressed and for myself; that means 20 minutes or so doing my make up, because as I've said many times before, I love my make up. And of course, I do my hair everyday. So now, we've done everything to get ready for work. Onto the "office". Our work day begins at 7:00 a.m.

Around Noon, it's time for lunch. So, I leave my "office" and go to the kitchen and prepare lunch. I take a one hour lunch. Sometimes, if I'm meeting friends or with an attorney, I'll take a 1 1/2 hour lunch, but no more than that. Then, it's back to the "office" where the afternoon seems to go by faster than the morning session.

I work until 5:00 p.m. and take a break to prepare dinner for my husband. It's back to the office at 6:00 p.m. to check for updates from attorneys, answer emails, and return phone calls. This evening session goes for about two or three hours. I normally use this time to call Clients about missing information. It' easier to get a hold of them in the evening when they arrive home from work. I work until 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. and then close shop. I turn off the computer, the lights and put all my files away in the cabinet. I close and lock the door to my office and call it day.

Now it's time to take the dogs for a walk. We walk for 30 minutes every other night. When we get home, it's play time and then get ready for the next day. Which means choosing what I will wear to the office the next day. Yeah, I go that far. I did this routine for more than 20 years so it's all I know how to do. I "get ready" for work.

Being a home based professional can get you into a rut really fast if you don't manage your time wisely. You must have balance. Time for your business, time for your family and time for yourself.

This routine I've written out is a general routine and one that is common for myself and my good friend who is a VBA. But it's not to say I don't sway from this schedule, because I do. Today being one of those days. I'm waiting to hear back from a few attorneys on petitions I've prepared in the last few days. I don't know if they will file this week, or will wait until next week. Until then, I keep myself busy doing other things. There is always something to do.

I love to read. Sometimes, when I'm waiting for responses from attorneys or the attorney's clients, I catch up on some reading. Or I crochet. All the while sitting in front of my computer, because after all, I am working, so I stay in my office. Which is why most times, I answer emails right away. If I'm here, I respond immediately.

When you begin preparing petitions, you should set up a schedule on how you will run your business. It does not have to be like the schedule I've shared, but definitely make one that fits your lifestyle. Otherwise, you might get burned out working from home; which, I hear, is very common. I've been doing this since 1998. But when I started preparing petitions, it meant spending more time in the "office". As a Field Service Inspector, I was always out and about. I had to be, Inspections take place away from home. As a Notary Signing Agent, pretty much the same thing, traveling to the Signers home to get the docs prepared for mailing.

As a VBA, your work is at home. Very rarely, will you need to go out to meet the attorney. Unless, of course, he and/or she is in close proximity to your home. Which, by the way, does not necessarily mean you have to meet with them. Unless of course, you want to meet with them. It's up to you how you want to run your business.

Your mind is just as important to exercise as your body. I'm glad I love to read. I crochet during the winter months. It's something my great-grandmother taught me. I love to crochet, so each winter I make two or three bed covers and a few scarves. In the spring and summer, I sit outside and read. Whatever you love to do, be sure to set aside some time to do it. Remember, you're in control of your time from now on. You have to decide how much time you will dedicate to your Clients and how much time you will have for yourself and your family.

But I must warn you, the first year of any business usually will not allow for too much time for anything but your business. That's because you're establishing yourself and building a reputation and introducing yourself and your business to the legal community. Once you have a few attorneys you work with, your routine will be more stable. Just a little warning I had to throw in there. Those of you working as Independents for awhile will know what I mean.

I see from my clock that it's 12:15 p.m., I'm running into my lunch time. I've got to stop here since I'm going out for lunch today and I want to be sure and be back for the afternoon "crunch" time.

I'll be back tomorrow with some more information on running a professional home based business. Until then, stay healthy!

Vikki

No comments: